It's Summertime...the Best Time for Tomatoes!
Summer is the season of tomatoes and this super easy recipe will impress the tomato lovers in your family. From the region of Lyon, France, the Tarte aux Moutarde (French Tomato & Mustard Pie) is a summertime favorite. Light enough for lunch or great paired with your favorite protein for dinner. It also works well for a next-day snack or picnic.
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 20 minutes Total: 40 minutes Servings: 4
- 1 unsweetened pastry for a 9-inch single-crust pie
- 1/2 cup grainy brown mustard
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 TBS olive oil (more as needed)
- 2 TBS Herbes de Provence
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish.
Poke holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork.
Building the Pie
- Spread the mustard over the bottom of the pie crust in an even layer.
- Cover the mustard with a layer of Swiss cheese.
- Arrange slices of tomato, overlapping in a spiral from the center, covering up the cheese.
- Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes and sprinkle with herbs de Provence (or seasoning of your choice)
Time to Bake
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes
(the crust should be browned, the cheese melted and the tomatoes curled at the edges)