As the air gets cooler and crisper, soups like this sweet potato soup courtesy of America’s Test Kitchen are a great alternative for lunch or dinner. What is more comforting than homemade soup? This one is perfect for fall highlighting one of the season’s favorite vegetables just in time for Halloween and Thanksgiving. Add some fresh bread and/or a salad, and you’ve got the perfect meal.
Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 tsp packed brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and sliced thin
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp minced fresh chives
Sweet Potato Soup Instructions
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from the now-empty pot.
- Add onion, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add potatoes, broth, and water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender about 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, process soup in blender until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the soup sprinkled with cheese and bacon bits.
Other recipes you make like: