If you’re looking for a hearty vegetarian soup packed with nutrition this fall, this recipe from America’s Test Kitchen hits all the checkmarks. Serve with some crusty bread for a healthy lunch or light dinner.
Serves 4 to 6
Red Lentil Soup Ingredients
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 tsp table salt
¾ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp pepper
⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, plus extra as needed
2 cups water
10½ oz (1½ cups) red lentils, picked over and rinsed
2 tbsp lemon juice, plus extra for seasoning
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Red Lentil Soup Instructions
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Add onion and salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in coriander, cumin, ginger, pepper, cinnamon, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, water, and lentils, bringing to a vigorous simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until lentils are soft and about half are broken down for about 15 minutes.
- Whisk soup vigorously until broken down to coarse puree, about 30 seconds.
Adjust consistency with extra hot broth as needed. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and extra lemon juice to taste.
- Sprinkle individual portions with cilantro and drizzle with extra oil before serving.