We love baking brownies from scratch, but we also love the convenience of store-bought brownie mix. Enter: DIY brownie mix, the best of both worlds. For super chocolaty brownies we turn to a combination of semisweet chocolate chips and Dutch-processed cocoa, which has a deeper chocolate flavor than natural cocoa powder.
Scoop your mix into one large airtight container for storage, or batch out the mix into 4 individual airtight containers to use later or give as gifts (2½ cups of mix per batch).
semisweet chocolate chips
Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon table salt
TO MAKE 1 BATCH OF BROWNIES
3 large eggs
2½ cups (17½ ounces) Brownie Mix
TIP: We strongly recommend using Dutch-processed cocoa powder here. If you use natural cocoa powder, your brownies will be more dense.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING YOUR OWN BROWNIE MIX
For the brownie mix:
- Add sugar and chocolate chips to food processor and lock lid into place. Turn on processor and process until mixture is combined and chocolate chips are coarsely ground, about 1 minute. Stop processor.
- Remove lid and carefully remove processor blade (ask an adult for help). Transfer mixture to extra-large bowl. Add cocoa, flour, and salt to bowl.
- Whisk until very well combined, about 1 minute. Transfer brownie mix to large airtight storage container. (Brownie mix can be stored at room temperature for at least 2 months.)
To make 1 batch of brownies:
- Whisk the Brownie Mix inside the container to ensure that all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In large bowl, whisk melted butter and eggs until combined.
- Add 2½ cups Brownie Mix to bowl. Use rubber spatula to stir until just combined and no dry mix is visible. Use rubber spatula to scrape batter into foil-lined baking pan and smooth top.
- Place baking pan in oven. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out with few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Use oven mitts to remove baking pan from oven and place on cooling rack (ask an adult for help). Let brownies cool completely in pan, about 1½ hours.
- Use foil sling to carefully lift brownies out of baking pan and place on cutting board. Cut into squares and serve.
MORE RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE: