Ribs aren’t just for barbecue! This tender short ribs recipe, courtesy of Welcome to the Table Food Co-op, is perfect for holiday entertaining. The short ribs are bathed in a festive cranberry sauce that takes hardly any time to make. A side of potatoes or noodles provides a great way to mop up the flavorful sauce and complete the meal.
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes; 10 minutes active
- 2 pounds short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
Preparing your Cranberry Short Ribs
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the ribs in a small casserole or nine-by-nine-inch square baking pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cover with foil or a lid and bake for one hour and 15 minutes. After the initial roasting, drain off any excess fat.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the flour and brown sugar, then gradually whisk in apple juice. Add orange zest and cranberries and stir.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Pour the sauce over the baked ribs, turning to coat. Return ribs to the oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes. Serve hot.
A salad with a bitter green, like radicchio, topped with oranges, or a side of sautéed broccoli pairs nicely with the richness of this dish.