Caprese Salads are a summer classic when tomatoes and basil are fresh from the garden. Always a big hit when entertaining or just to serve as an appetizer. Create a stack like this recipe presents or you can overlap the tomato & mozzarella. There are lots of ways to display this salad.
- 2-3 large, ripe tomatoes, slicked to get eight even slices, about 1/3″ thick each
- 1-2 balls of fresh mozzarella, sliced to get six evenly sliced rounds, about 1/3″ thick each
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbs basil, cleaned and torn into bite size pieces
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
On two separate plates, starting with the tomato, alternate each stack, with four slices of tomato and 3 slices of mozzarella. Mix the EVOO, vinegar, salt and pepper, then drizzle with a spoon over the two stacks. Finish with torn basil, and serve.