This Brussels sprout salad recipe was featured in Season 21 of America’s Test Kitchen and is dressed in a warm mustard vinaigrette that tenderizes the sprouts while letting them retain their fresh flavor. Bites of quick-pickled shallot and dried apricots add pop to the salad, while Ricotta Salata cheese, chopped toasted pistachios, and watercress add richness, flavor, and a touch of bitterness.
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved, and sliced thin
- 1 ½ lbs watercress, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 ounces Ricotta Salata, shaved into thin strips using a vegetable peeler
How to Make Brussel Sprouts Salad
- Whisk vinegar, mustard, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a bowl.
- Add shallot and apricots, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave until steaming, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir briefly to submerge shallot.
- Let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add pistachios and cook, stirring frequently, until pistachios are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in shallot mixture.
- Add Brussels sprouts and toss with tongs until dressing is evenly distributed and sprouts darken slightly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add watercress and Ricotta Salata and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.