Apple Cranberry Oat Crumble
1 tablespoon room temperature unsalted butter (for baking dish)
FOR THE TOPPING
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spoon into measuring cup, leveled-off
- 1-1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE FRUIT FILLING
- 8 large baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups (8 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 3-quart, or 9 x 13-inch, baking dish. To make the topping, mix the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt together in a bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter, then press the topping together with your hands to form small clumps. Put the topping in the freezer while you assemble the filling.
- To make the fruit filling, toss the apples, cranberries, sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Transfer the filling to the prepared pan and spread it out, pressing the fruit down into the corners.
- Press the oat crumble evenly over the fruit, then bake for 60-70 minutes, or until the crumble is lightly golden and the filling is bubbling up in the corners. Cool for about 20 minutes to temper the heat before serving, then top with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
- Note: This crumble is best served the day it is made, but any leftovers can be wrapped in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Reheat in a 300 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, until warm.